As we approach the 2017 Annual Convention,
here's a look at the convention booklet covers of the past 10 years:
April 8 - 10, 2016
March 20 -22, 2015
March 28 - 30, 2014
April 5 - 7, 2013
March 23 - 25, 2012
March 25 - 27, 2011
February 26 - 28, 2010
March 20 - 22, 2009
April 11 - 13, 2008
March 16 - 18, 2007
April 7 - 9, 2006
BREAKING NEWS: ROOMS FOR NEC 2017 ARE SELLING OUT!...From the Hartford Sheraton South...NEC Special Rate Room Block is sold out...hotel nearing capacity for regular $159 rooms ...other local hotels nearing capacity due to local tournament.
MAKE YOUR ROOM RESERVATION NOW or find someone with whom to share a hotel room. To make reservations call the hotel at 1 888 627 8263 and mention the Northeast Council of Aquarium Societies 2017 Convention.
We are very sorry for the inconvenience this may cause you - the hotel only informed us of this late this Thursday afternoon.
We suggest that you try using your favorite hotel search engine and search for "Hotels in Rocky Hill CT". There are numerous hotels within 5-10 miles of the Sheraton Hartford South that may in fact be less expensive than rooms at the Sheraton.
WARNING: DEADLINES FOR THE 2017 NEC AQUARIUM HOBBY CONVENTION ARE APPROACHING!
•FEB 22: Early Bird Discounted Online Registration ends Midnight!
•FEB 22: Special Hotel Rate block ends!
•FEB 22: last day to order Convention logo t-shirts!
•FEB 24: NECA Cichlid Show Entry Registration deadline!
•FEB 24 Meal seatings provided to Hotel. Seating is limited. Last year we ran out, so reserve your plate now!
•MAR 5: Discounted Online Registration ends Midnight!
•MAR 5: NEC Photo Contest snail-mailed digital entry deadline!
•MAR 6 (or sooner): NEC Nano-Tank Aquascaping Contest. Limit is 10 entries. Enter now!
•MAR 7: NEC Photo Contest digital entry deadline!
•MAR 9-10: mail in entry arrival at the Hotel for the IGEES Guppy Show!
•MAR 10: NEC CONVENTION OPENS! 10AM
•MAR 10-11: Convention attendee entries for the IGEES Guppy Show!
•MAR 11 Walk-in registrations until 1pm
•MAR 12 All-species Mega Auction open to the public
The James J. White Memorial Fund Recipients Named for 2017
Our Freshwater conservation recipient is
Our Saltwater conservation recipient is
To donate fish for the James J. White Memorial Conservation Fund Silent Auction, please send an email to our Convention Chairman
To make a monetary donatation to our James J. White Memorial Conservation Fund,
please go to the convention registration cart at
For more information, please visit our Conservation page at
NEC Convention 2017 Nano-Tank Aquascaping Contest Rules
We have had great interest in this contest!
As of February 22, there are 8 tanks entered.
Thank you, TFSRI, for your generous sponsorship
of this aquascaping contest!
THANKS TO AN ANONYMOUS DONOR,
PRIZE AWARDS NOW DOUBLED:
$100 1st, $50 2nd, $30 3rd, $20 4th!
1) This contest is open to all convention attendees.
2) Maximum contestants is set at 10, first come, first entered. There is no entry fee.
2) Cash prizes awarded: First, $50; Second, $25; Third, $15, Fourth, $10
3) People’s Choice voting to determine winners.
4) Contestants will provide aquarium, and all goods needed to complete the aquascaping, including air pump, airstone/tubing or sponge filter. Contestants will have access to hotel water (which will need to be treated), or may bring treated water from home.
4) The NEC will provide table space, plastic tablecloths, extension cords and distribution bars.
5) Tank size: 5 gallons maximum size, and may include substrate, hardscaping (wood, rocks), plants, and nano species (fish and/or shrimps).
6) Contestants will have 6 hours to complete their aqauscaping from 12 noon – 6pm on Friday. Voting will be from Saturday from 8am – 12 pm.
7) Awards will be announced in the Vendor Room at 10pm on Saturday evening.
Once you have registered for the convention, click on:
to send an e-mail to sign up for the aquascaping contest.
Hot out of the Digital Camera!
For the second year in a row, an anonymous donor has stepped up to the camera.
The open classes in our annual photography competition awards will again be DOUBLED!
This means that:
Class 2. Individual Fish / Fish Identification – Open Class
Class 4. Underwater Life (Group or Tank Photos) – Open Class
These competition awards will be $40 for 1st, $20 for 2nd, and $10 for 3rd.
If you've never entered a photo in this competition, this is a great time to do so.
For competition rules, please click on the camera icons, and start shooting!
The Photo Competition is open to all NEC member club members
and all convention attendees.